Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Regina Spektor - Begin To Hope



Regina Spektor - Begin To Hope
Released - June 13, 2006 / Sire Records

I don't know much about Regina Spektor, and the little bit I do know is directly from Wikipedia. I know she was born in Moscow. I literally know nothing about Russia. In middle school there was a kid who transferred from Russia. His name was Surgay, pronounced Sir Gay. Ouch. Why don't you just name your kid penis face. I guess Russian names don't translate well. Anyway, Spektor gained exposure opening for The Strokes and Kings of Leon. However, the big mystery I have is how she found her way into my itunes. I have no idea how I got her album, Begin To Hope. I don't think I bought it. I don't remember downloading it. Maybe from a friend? Who knows. The point is I'm glad this CD found its way into my itunes.

Regina Spektor has one of the most unique voices I can remember hearing in a long time (And this isn't bad unique like when your friend tries to hook you up and describes the person as "unique"). I'm pretty sure I could listen to Regina Spektor sing the phonebook and be mesmerized. She is that good. When you mix the simple and catchy music with her infectious voice you have an album that is too good to pass up. Along with her voice she has a very unique singing style that is hard to pin down. On the song "Fidelity" she has a way of singing the chorus that is more like laugh/singing, but somehow it gives the song a personality I don't think it would have had otherwise. Most of the albums tracks are sort of funky and mostly are constructed over poppy drum beats and synthesizers, but one song that sticks out is the piano driven song "Samson". It is refreshing to hear Regina Spektor in a stripped down capacity. This song puts her voice center stage, and for Regina Spektor that is not a bad thing.

Rating - 8 / 10

Favorite Tracks - "That Time" , "Samson", "Fidelity" , and "On The Radio"

Ciao,

-Adam

Regina Spektor - Fidelity

No comments:

Post a Comment