Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Mac Lethal - 11:11

Mac Lethal - 11:11
Released - October 9, 2007 / Rhymesayers

Last week I posted a song by Mac Lethal, Pound That Beer. I thought the song was interesting and not like anything I've heard in a while. I decided to do a little research on him and see what he's all about. Apparently Mac Lethal, who is from Kansas City, gained notoriety on the freestyle circuit. He won Scribble Jam in 2002. Scribble Jam is like a Hip-Hop Olympics. There are numerous events in beatbox, break dancing, freestyle rapping, and more. Mac Lethal won the freestyling event. This fact makes it easy to make the comparison to Eminem, a little too easy. Which is why I will.


He is like Eminem mixed with Bubba Sparxxx (remember him?). He has the witty lines and flow of Eminem and a little bit of the southern swagger of Bubba Sparxxx. He has an eclectic feel which he lets known in the song "Calm Down Baby "I still think the Deftones are dope, and I like Nick Drake on the days I want to let go of hope, Wilco is great and Ice T is still clever , and no matter what, its always Wu-Tang Forever".

For a person who started off in the freestyle circuit his album, 11:11, is made up of a lot of hilarious one liners. On the song Sledgehammer he raps " If Yoko Ono gave you herpes, would that be strawberry fields forever?". The beats are very simple, but catchy. He has songs destined to become Frat/College Anthems: Pound That Beer and Make Out Bandit. I don't think this album is for everyone, and probably will never see any kind of main stream success. However, I do think this is a good album that is easy to enjoy.

(I just realized I compared him to two white rappers. Are there even any more white rappers to compare him too? You should have seen the first version of this review in which I found a way to compare him to Snow and his song Informer - I lick your boom boom down!)

Rating - 8 / 10

Favorite Tracks - "Pound That Beer", "Make Out Bandit", "Calm Down Baby"


Tied to the whipping post,

Adam

Mac Lethal - Make Out Bandit


Check Archives for Pound that Beer post

No comments:

Post a Comment