Monday, January 14, 2008

Desoto Jones


Desoto Jones held their record release show this past Saturday at The Troc. Contrary to what Doug Wallen writes in the PW's feature, these guys are not emo. Clearly this guy has no idea what he's talking about and should brush up on his rock history.

Big thanks to the guys for getting my poor ass on the list. Desoto played a flawless 60 minute set to a packed balcony audience. After listening to the record, I questioned if the singer, Owen, had the chops to pull it off live. My question was answered as "Capgun" and "Don't Fail Me" were two surprise songs that really impressed me Saturday night. "Giant Magnets", which you may have heard on Radio 104.5, and "Non Fiction" are my favorites on the record and were played perfectly. The guys attained true rock star status (at least Troc Balcony rock star status) as every female in the room sang their hearts out during "Non Fiction".


I already know that their new album, "Aurora", will make my top album list at the end of the year. Desoto Jones is primed to have a breakout year in 2008, so get acquainted. Visit their Myspace, buy Aurora, and be on the lookout for an album review in the February issue of Alternative Press.

I've got a case of the Monday's,
Josh


Photo Credit: Brittany Sturges

No comments:

Post a Comment