Wednesday, February 6, 2008

The Shackeltons

I don't know how this P.A. band was able to slip past my radar, but I feel slightly ashamed. Chambersburg, P.A.'s The Shackeltons have been compared to The Pixies, early White Stripes, and Fugazi. But what I hear most is perfect fusion between Arctic Monkeys and The Killers. 200 M.P.H. guitar riffs and a voice comparible (in my opinion, better) to Brandon Flowers, minus the whole 80's new wave whiney thing Flowers is so famous for.

Their self-titled album, reviewed in thise month's Spin, received 4 stars. The review reads, "what makes The Shackeltons so thrilling is a creeping sense that crouched behind the towering melodies and heard-'em-before razor guitars, there's a complete breakdown." I couldn't agree more. Every song is a roller coaster ride. Just when you think you've heard the best of what this band has to offer dynamically, you're surprised by something else. I sit back, listening to their music, saying to myself, "I can't believe they just went there." It's hard to pull off an epic song in under 7 minutes, but The Shackeltons do it in 3.

The Band's debut dropped last week, produced by Jon Brion (Fiona Apple, Rufus Wainwright). Look for them to make huge noise at this year's SXSW in March. My guess is everyone will know who The Sheckeltons are after that, if they don't already.







Visit The Shackeltons on myspace
Key track: "Get Out"

-Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment