Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Jack Johnson - Sleep Through The Static



Jack Johnson - Sleep Through The Static
Released - February 5, 2008 / Brushfire Records

Lets just get it right on the table. I use to be a hippie. I had long hair, I went to Bonnaroo, I burnt incense, I wore corduroys, I had a soul patch, the list goes on. Along with being a hippie I was optimistic. Optimistic life was fun and enjoyable. And it was, in high school and college, but the real world is another story. Now there are just flashes of fun. A little fun hangin with friends here, or going out to drink there. However. Bills arent fun. Work isn't fun. Responsibility isn't fun. When I was in high school I didn't have any of those things so life was fun. The soundtrack to that fun ws Jack Johnson.

I was a huge Jack Johnson fan, and his music brings me right back to those times. Brushfire Fairytales is a great album, easily his best, but something has happened. I'm not sure it happened to Jack Johnson, i'm pretty sure it happened to me. I've grown up. His music doesn't provide a soundtrack to my life as it once did. It is now a mockery to the freedom and fun I didn't realize was so precious.

As he released new albums over the years I cared less and less. From Brushfire Fairytales to On and On to In Between Dreams, I played each album less and less. Brushfire came out only 5-6 years ago, but those are like dog years. So much happened in those years that I feel vastly different from the the 2002 version of Adam.

So, when I heard he was coming out with a new album I wrote it down on my calendar and pre-ordered it from itunes. Eventhough I had little interest in the album and wasn't that fond of the first single, "If I Had Eyes". Maybe I'm trying to recapture those precious years before the memories begin to fade.

I know a lot of people say all his songs sound alike. Maybe they do. AC/DC made the same song over and over again and they kick ass, right? So I say, keep writing the same song Jack Johnson! There is always someone who needs a soudtrack to their life.


(I've seen interviews where Jack Johnson has said this album may be a little darker than previous ones. I think it is totally true. There seems to be a lack of fun, up-beat, put a smile on your face, pop songs. So if your looking for "bubble toes" Jack Johnson maybe you should think twice before buying this album.)


Rating - 6

Favorite Song - "Hope", "If I Had Eyes", "Sleep Through The Static"


Slow Down Everyone Your Moving To Fast,

Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment