Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Grammy Bowl IV

With the Grammy's being held this Sunday, it only means it's that time of the year again....Grammy Bowl IV!!! Evey year my friend Adam and I have a contest and pick the categories. Basically it gives us a reason to watch 3 hours of horrible television, OK performances, and unworthy acceptance speeches. After a great first few years of picking, I was humbled with my disastrous picks of last year. It was like a good blackjack run in Vegas. You start to feel invincible, you can't lose, everything you pick is the right choice and them BAM. The dealer brings you right back down to the gutter by pulling a five-card 21, bursting those dreams of a comped suite to go along with that high class hooker on your arm. Things will get better. My picks below in bold, Adam's in blue. After 3 years of picking I'm 1-1-1.

Record of the Year

Beyonce- Halo

Black Eyed Peas- I got a feeling

Kings of leon- use somebody

Lady gaga- poker face

Taylor swift- you belong with me

Taylor vs. Beyonce round two. Taylor takes down the big awards.


Album of the Year

Beyonce- I am…sasha fierce

Black Eyed Peas- the e.n.d.

Lady gaga- the fame

DMB- big whiskey and the groogrux king

Taylor swift- fearless


Song of the Year

Lady gaga- poker face

Pretty wings- Maxwell

Beyonce- single ladies

Kings of leon- use somebody

Taylor swift- you belong with me

I've grown to absolutely despise this song. You couldn't go 10 minutes without hearing this sellout song on every radio station in the country. Sounds like a winner.


Best New Artist

Zac brown band

Keri hilson

Mgmt

Silversun pickups

Ting tings

Lady Gaga is up for album, song, and record of the year, but somehow she doesn't get a best new artist bid? I guess the grammy people are saving that for next year. I hate the people who pick these things. guaranteed she wins this category next year. And I'm picking mgmt this year for that same reason.


Best Female Pop Vocal

Adele- hometown glory

Beyonce- halo

Katy perry- hot n cold

Pink- sober

Taylor swift- you belong with me


Best Male Pop Vocal

John legend- this time

Maxwell- love you

Jason mraz- make it mine

Seal- if you don’t know me by now

Stevie wonder- all about the love again


Best Pop Performance duo/group

Black eyed peas- I gotta feeling

Bon jovi- we weren’t born to follow

The fray- never say never

Daryl hall and john oates- sara smile

Mgmt- kids


Solo Rock Vocal Performance

Bob Dylan- beyond here lies nothin’

John fogerty- change in the weather

Prince- dreamer

Bruce springsteen- working on a dream

Neil young- fork in the road

nobody votes against Springsteen in the Grammy's.


Rock Performance Duo/Group

Eric Clapton and steve winwood- cant find my way home

Coldplay- life in Technicolor II

Green day- 21 guns

Kings of leon- use somebody

U2- I’ll go crazy if I don’t go crazy tonight

This one will bite me in the ass. Never pick against Green Day or U2. Underachieving megabands who will inevitably get nominated and win every year.


Hard Rock Performance

Ac/dc- war machine

Alice in chains- check my brain

Linkin park- what I’ve done

Metallica- the unforgiven III

Nickelback- burn it to the ground

I really wanted to take Linkin Park here, but this is the year of the oldies. Bruce, U2, Metallica, Depeche Mode, Stevie Wonder....what year is this?


Best Rock Song

Pearl jam- the fixer

U2- I’ll go crazy if I don’t go crazy tonight

Green day- 21 guns

Kings of leon- use somebody

Bruce springsteen- working on a dream

Big battle of the night! Bruce vs. U2 vs. Green Day, none of whom should win. Three way toss up.


Best Rock Album

Ac/dc- black ice

Eric Clapton and steve winwood- live from MSG

Green day- 21st century breakdown

DMB- big whiskey and the groogrux king

U2- no line on the horizon


Best Alternative Music Album

David byrne and brian eno- everything that happens will happen today

Death cab for cutie- the open door

Dépêche mode- sounds of the universe

Phoenix- wolfgang Amadeus phoenix

Yeah yeah yeahs- its blitz

YYY should win this easily, but this is the Grammy's we're talking about. And why is Death Cab even nominated. THEY PUT OUT AN EP!


Best R&B Song

Jamie foxx and t-pain- blame it

Jasmine Sullivan- lions, tigers, and bears

Maxwell- pretty wings

Beyonce- single ladies

Pleasure p- under


Contemporary R&B Album

Beyonce- I am… sasha fierce

Jamie foxx- intuition

Pleasure p- the introduction of marcus cooper

Trey songz- ready

t-pain- thr33 ringz

If I were a 60 year old Grammy voter, I wouldn't vote for T-Pain solely because his album title is rediculous.


Rap Solo Performance

Drake- best I ever had

Eminem- beautiful

Jay-z- d.o.a.

Kid cudi- day n’ nite

Mos def- casa bey


Best Rap Song

Drake- best I ever had

Kid cudi- day n’ nite

t.i. and justin timberlake- dead and gone

jay-z- d.o.a.

jay-z, rihanna, kanye west- run this town

The producers need to find a way to get Kanye up on stage....this is how they do it.


Best Rap Album

Common- universal mind control

Eminem- relapse

Flo rida- r.o.o.t.s.

Mos def- the ecstatic

q-tip- the renaissance

Look at this list and tell me which nominee doesn't fit. WTF IS FLO RIDA DOING HERE?!?!?!


Best Country Song

Trace Adkins- all I ask for anymore

Jamey Johnson- high cost of living

Lady antebellum- I run to you

Billy currington- people are crazy

Taylor swift- white horse

Ummmmm I don't know country music sooooo Taylor?


Best Country Album

Zac brown band- the foundation

George strait- twang

Taylor swift- fearless

Keith urban- defying gravity

Lee ann Womack- call me crazy


Best Song Written for a Motion Picture

Karen o and the kids- all is love (where the wild things are)

Paramore- decode (Twilight)

a.r. rahman- Jai Ho (slumdog millionaire)

beyonce- once in a lifetime (cadillac records)

Bruce springsteen- the wrestler (the wrestler)

Jai Ho and the bollywood movement was everywhere.


Best Short Form Music Video

Beast- mr. hurricane

Black eyed peas- boom boom pow

Coldplay- life in Technicolor II

Dépêche mode- wrong

Oren lavie- her morning elegance




1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with the fact that unworthy artists like U2 and Green Day should not get rewards but for some dumb reason, still do. So here are my picks for some of the categories, the ones I excluded are ones I don't care about or don't know enough about. By the way, i'm not picking who will win, but who I want to win...

    Record of the Year
    Kings of Leon

    Album of the Year
    Lady gaga
    Only because she is so rediculous and i love watching her, she is her own minidrama soap opera

    Song of the Year
    Kings of Leon- use somebody
    I have to agree, it is completely over played and a sellout...its a shoe in and I still like it anyway

    Best new Artist
    MGMT
    Loved the album when it came out

    Best Female Pop
    Adele- Hometown glory
    Her voice is great!

    Best Alternative Music Album
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs- its blitz

    Best song for Motion Picture
    Karen o and the kids
    Its catchy and cute and upbeat, which helps when the movie itself is actually kind of dark

    And my last is..,

    Best Short form Music video
    Beast- Mr. Hurricane
    The video is sick and its a great song

    ReplyDelete