Saturday, August 11, 2007

I Predict A Riot

Big thanks to Philabuster (who I still owe a beer to by the way) over at Badminton Stamps for getting me on the list for the sold out show at Johnny Brenda's Thursday night featuring Tokyo Police Club, Ra Ra Riot, and Vampire Weekend. Just the wait list to get into the show that night was a mile long. I'll be honest, I was there soley to see Ra Ra Riot and left as soon as TPC took the stage. Not to say I don't like them, but they're signed to Saddle Creek, so what's the point in me scouting them? Although I guess the same could be said for both Ra Ra Riot and Vampire Weekend, since they've both been on Labels' radars for quite some time now. Vampire Weekend gave me what I expected, which was a short set with just a couple songs that actually show promise. The crowd was begging for energy throughout their set, but I don't think the guys fully delivered. Is it just me or do Vampire Weekend come off as one of those bands who thinks their too good for everyone at the venue? Like they're pissed to be playing to JUST 100 people. Anyway, "Blake's Got A New Face" and "APunk" were the two strongest of their set; which are in fact good songs, but I just don't see these guys making more than a tiny ripple in the industry waters. Deal with it...

Ra Ra Riot was a different scenario all together. Sometimes you come across the band that may not have that smash radio single, but posseses that raw talent that is just undeniable. That's exactly what I thought the first time I heard Ra Ra Riot and my thoughts were quickly confirmed after seeing them live for the first time Thursday. I'll just come out and say it....I'm in love with their cello player. But besides that, the energy they threw out to the crowd was amazing. They have a great, unique sound and know how to entertain an audience. It's just unfortunate they don't have that one song to push them over the top, and almost all of their songs clocked in at over 4 minutes. They're well on their way and it's just a matter of time before everything clicks for them. They're signed to V2 worldwide, excluding North America. Their manager insisted that the band's in no rush to sign to a U.S. label and they're just going to continue touring and making cool tunes. "Dying Is Fine" was my highlight of the night, so take a listen on Myspace and become a fan. Don't pass these guys up if you're lucky enough to have them visiting your city anytime soon.

2 comments:

  1. Thats funny you should say that about Vampire Weekend. I saw them here in Tucson a few weeks ago, and felt the exact same way. I tried talking with them after the show but they were too cool for me or something. But the music is halfway decent. As for Ra Ra Riot..... what more can be said that you havn't already touched upon. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the kind words man, I actually didn't even think anyone read this. e-mail me anytime to talk music.

    ReplyDelete