Tuesday, July 17, 2007

War On Drugs @ JB's

So I checked out local Philly band The War On Drugs last night at Johnny Brenda's, aka the best music venue in Philly. They played about a 30 minute set to a crowd of around 30 people. It's hard for any Philly opener to drag people out of their apartments on a Tuesday night and I was surprised to see that many. They started the set with just two members on stage (well, the floor space in front of the stage as there was no room on the actual stage). "Taking The Farm" was by far their strongest during this opening set. The other three members then joined in to finish their 30 minutes. I was immediately caught off guard by the two drummers and really don't see a need for two, but hey whatever floats your boat. With all five members on stage, the best I can describe them is Vietnam meets Hockey. They have the ordered chaos that Vietnam utilizes so well paired with the lyrical content and vocal range of the singer in hockey. They're definitely worth giving a listen and even checking out live if you're in the minority of people who like to explore new music in this city. I'll definitely be keeping my eyes on these guys. As far as a second show goes to see The War On Drugs? Count me in.

No comments:

Post a Comment